Friday, June 26, 2015

Hostel Environment

Friday June 12, 2015: In the first 24-hours of my trip, conversations in other languages swirled around me. English, Spanish, and French. The lady next to me on my flight to Vancouver, a Colombiana, was heading there to attend her citizenship ceremony. As we talked she told me about their home near the outskirts of Bogota and her three children, twin girls and a little boy. After what seemed like entirely too long, I arrived at 6:40 AM at the Samesun Backpackers Lounge Hostel sitting along Granville St. The search for adventure and great soccer, began with exploring the slumbering city. Wakes gently lap against the rocks in the harbor. Boats proudly fly The Maple Leaf, Canada's flag. Soon people were leaving their houses and apartments for a morning job, to walk the dog, or start their commute. After about an hour of exploration and a short conversation with a passerby I headed back for breakfast. There I met Sylvie and Marc, two French speaking Canadians. While my French isn't at the same level as my Spanish, I was able to understand nearly everything they said.

While the hostel isn't much to look at from the outside. Upon entering and bounding up the stairs, you find a common room with sofas and a pool table, the kitchen, and a staircase leading to the many rooms for travelers. The threat of pests like bed bugs and sickness aside, hosteling is really the way to go. The stories you hear, and the people you meet make it all worth it. People at Samesun came from all over the world for many different reasons. Not once did I feel alone during my trip.

The afternoon was magnificent, I made my way to BC Place to watch a doubleheader for the World Cup. Switzerland vs. Ecuador and Japan vs. Cameroon. While the stadium wasn't at capacity, there was still an enthusiasm coming from all sides of the stadium.
Afternoon jog in Vancouver

Shueme took a picture with me!

Swiss team came into the audience after their 10-1 triumph.

The fans made the games super special! Go Japan!!!

BC Place
Japan vs. Cameroon

Saturday June 13, 2015 Lynn Canyon Park
After a long day on Friday, Saturday was perfect. I went with other people in the hostel to Lynn Canyon for a hike. As we arrived, I couldn't help but be reminded of the redwoods and forests in northern California. The sweet piney smell of the cedar intermingling with dust and warm air was everywhere. It was beautiful.

On Saturday, after brushing my teeth and putting on my pajamas, one of the girls in my room invited me to come downstairs and have a drink with them. Despite being a little tired, I realized I didn't come all this way just to sleep. So I decided, I should go be social. Well it's been a long time since I've pulled an all-nighter, but that's what happened. We left the hostel to go dancing with a group of 20, and only 6 came back together. I made my way up the flight of stairs, changed into my pjs, and heading to the common room with my beloved water bottle at 3 am. To my surprise, there was still quite a crowd hanging about. Some Irish men were playing pool and eventually I joined.
Glorious cedars

Everything is so green!



Saturday night, let's go!
Sunday June 14, 2015 Vancouver
Finally recharged after a fun day of hiking and dancing with new friends, I went for a run through Vancouver city. The harbor was alive as people milled about enjoying the warm sunshine. After my run, Martina whom I had met the night invited me to grab dinner across the street at the Factory. The Factory was a divey little restaurant offering meals for $5. As we waited for our food we talked about where we're from, what we plan on doing for work, and our travel plans. Although, we had only just met it was like talking to an old friend. Martina is from Austria and will be an English teacher and P.E. teacher. She was leaving the next morning for a trip to Jasper, and had to be up really early. The next morning I was bummed because I didn't wake up in time to say goodbye, but I was so pleasantly surprised to find a note from Martina. There's something special about the backpacking/traveling community.

Monday June 15, 2015 White Rock
What a special thing to be able to spend time with my dear friend Anthony. On Monday, I took a bus down to White Rock, and explored the town where the USA network show Psych was filmed! After walking along the pier where Shawn and Gus caused plenty of trouble, we made our way to a park nearby. The weather was perfect and different birds could be heard calling out in the distance. We found thimble berries and salmon berries growing freely. It was pretty much the perfect day. I finished the day with Anthony with a tour of A Rocha Canada, where Anthony is interning.

Best friend time


Thimble berries and a very tart apple.

Thimble berries, yum!

Welcome totems.

Low tide


Tuesday June 16, 2015 Grouse Grind and USA vs Nigeria
One of the activities that the hostel suggests to it's guest is a trip to Grouse Mountain for the infamous Grouse Grind. If the name doesn't speak to the grueling nearly vertical 2.9 kilometer (1.8 miles) climb, the first 15 minutes do. A friend I met in Samesun hostel Jordan, was planning on going on Monday, so after an hour long commute via bus and ferry we made it to the base of Grouse mountain. After about 20 minutes, we made it a 1/4 mark. This was surely a good sign. Well after twenty more minutes it seemed like nothing had happened. Even in the shade of the pines, exhaustion was creeping up. Along the way other climbers were also taking breaks, and others basically sprinted pass. Finally, after an hour and twenty minutes we made it to the top. To relish in the panoramic views of Vancouver, the surrounding mountains, and crisp blue skies. I can't say it was my favorite hike, but I'll take being outdoors over sitting inside any day.

Gasping for air after the Grouse Grind

A view of the stairs leading up

Post-grind, almost game time for US vs. Nigeria
Post-Grind Smile
 Game Time: USA vs. Nigeria
After making our way back to the hostel after Grouse Mountain, I had just enough time for a quick shower before the game. Making to my seat just as the national anthems were beginning, I was transported back in time to when I played for Westmont. Tears filled my eyes, as I looked back and forth between the US and Nigerian national teams. I felt pride swell up in my chest, not specifically for the US. But pride that I could be there. Pride that most everyone in that stadium was there because women's soccer is important. The energy in the stadium was absolutely electric. It was unlike anything I've ever seen. The game was absolutely incredible, both squads played with intensity and speed that I only hope to match someday.

Holiday winds up for a free kick

Nigeria free kick.


We believe that we can!

No comments:

Post a Comment