Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Going Sola

 On Monday, I went to Puerto Ibanez (1.5 hours south) to work with the kids in the more rural part of our region. I judged a Spelling Bee and Singing Festival. Here's what happened:

After lunch I walked into Aonikenk's auditorium and felt the eyes of the excited students watching my every step. Just audible, a student says,"Hello."

Detour.

"Well, hello everyone. How are you today?" I reply.

A wave of,"I'm fine" follows. Then we learn each others names and sing the alphabet. "Tia, tia, que canciones tu sabes de California?! Auntie/auntie, what songs do you know from California?!" asked one little boy.

"Hmm. There are so many! Do you know Hotel California?" Strike one. "California girls?" Strike two. "Do you know Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes?" Winner winner chicken dinner.

So in the unusually warm weather for Patagonia, together we sing and do the motions to Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes. Their smiles and the laughter are things that make it worth it. Maybe I should be working with Basico/Elementary Age.

Puerto Ibanez, Chile

Friday, was yet another day of traveling but this time in the other direction to Puerto Cisnes (2-3 hours north). Here, Pawel and I served as MC's for the first Annual Singing in the Rain Festival. A clever name, as Puerto Cisnes is a pretty rainy place. I've never been an MC, nor do I think I have amazing stage presence. But alas, years of learning how to laugh at myself, karaoke nights, REJ duties, and Model United Nations have all paid off. The event was a huge success, the director told me I made it look easy (aw shucks), and I ran into a few students I know from Winter Camp.

Saturday, the sun was out early and the sky was nearly cloud free. Today's is going to be a great day I thought. The plan: revisit Queulat, finally see Ventisquero Colgante, and hitchhike back to Coyhaique.
We hiked 3-4 mi. into Queulat, to go hiking in Queulat. Warm up?

Queulat Round 2
As Pawel and I went our separate ways—me, 30 minutes farther into Queulat, him, off into the Enchanted Forest—the adventure began.

Cool, ok. It'll be nice to be alone right? Yeah, definitely!...said no one ever. Pretty much all of our time as singles is spent alone or tagging along with our married or relationship-ped counterparts. We are indeed social creatures and like company.

Yet, I feel similarly to my friend Ashlee, and am each day coming to the same epiphany. Mainly, that in a society that is eagerly clinging to connectedness in social media and very community-centered, that it's ok, if not necessary to be comfortable alone. Read what Ashlee has to say here: I Have A Feeling This Is Going to be the Best Year Ever.

After a grueling hour or so, I made it to the mirador/viewpoint, sweat pouring from the weight of my pack. I set my pack on the bench and sat quietly in front of the famous Ventisquero Colgante. Wow, this is amazing. I rested, eyes closed so as to enjoy the chirping of the birds and sound of rushing waters. When I reopened my eyes, a little bird had hopped next to me and everything was so peaceful. I didn't have to rush off, talk to anyone, or care about anything I didn't want to. And all that time I didn't feel lonely.

Ventisquero Colgante, Queulat

Surprise yourself by being alone, intentionally. It's might be weird or challenging at first, but I find it very rewarding. For example, you can practice different accents without being made fun of.

Speaking of surprising today I received a Halloween card from Sarah Beene! Best way to start a rainy Tuesday, and also a timely reminder that I'm never alone, not even at "el fin del mundo/the end of the world." Thanks Sarah!

Just witching you a happy Halloween!- Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment