 |
| Why yes, that is a volcano behind me. |
Although I wouldn't call myself an avid test taker, one thing I do like about tests is that there is some finality. It's either you passed or you didn't. Skating along the real question of whether testing is necessary, I do think testing has some benefits. It's a great way to sample students grasp of a subject. However, at the same time mastering a concept in a controlled static situation doesn't mean that much in a dynamic world. Both fortunately and unfortunately, life is not a test. There is no equation that can be memorized, nor formula that will work for everybody. Ok, have a good life, I'm out!
 |
| Hiking solo through a foot of snow in shorts and climbing trees. |
Just joking! There's more, yay! In a time where checklisting, bucketlisting, and "how to..."'s are everywhere, it is easy to be overwhelmed or underwhelmed. As much as I try to resist, I find myself reading them and comparing my life to both the list and to the people I want to be like. Is it any wonder so many of us feel confused or unsatisfied? I did everything just right, so why isn't everything falling together like a Disney movie? Why am I single? Why am I working a job with no prospect? Where are my results?
 |
| So, there's still heaps of snow... |
Last week was a pretty dramatic return to reality. After a few weeks
of vacation, I returned to the classroom with renewed energy and
expectations. I thought if I put together dynamite presentations, gave
out stickers, and treated students with respect; that my students would
love English class and be respectful. Of course this was not the case. My second lesson went horribly awry, and what's more is I
didn't know what to do about it.
You could say I tried a wrong
solution. After a few minutes of trying to solve the problem, I threw my arms across my chest in defeat, and turned puppy-eyed to my teacher for help. Now after sleeping on it, brainstorming, and
retrieving my brain from my wonderful but raucous teenagers I'm ready to
get back at it.
 |
| Snow-capped Mountains |
But the point is this: We need to get out of this idea that there is a formula for everything. Being in your 20's isn't a test, it's a blessing. It might be a hot mess right now, but it's your hot mess. Reading everything that worked for everyone else and emulating such in our own lives might not yield the same results. And while enjoyable, bucketlisting isn't necessarily a habit we should live by. Goals are great, but we should remember why we made them in the first place and not limit ourselves from reaching our potential. Thinking about life as a test takes away the freedom and dimensionality that makes it all worth while. Everyday, situation, job, and conflict is different. We need to feel free to struggle and navigate life's ambiguity with confidence. Life goes on plan or no plan, but will you?
 |
| Stamped in country 07/29/2013, received 10/08/13. Buen trabajo Correos Chile... |
|
|
The best way to prepare for life is to begin to live.-Elbert Hubbard
No comments:
Post a Comment