Oye! In just a few weeks I'll have been here for five months in Chile. Having reached the halfway mark it seems like a great time to recap my time here so far.
Day 1: April 5, 2013 Whoa!?!?! Where am I? Oh, right I'm in Chile. I can't believe I did it.
May: Yay, for hiking, I have so much free time! Teaching's not a bad gig. Snow?!?!
June: Miss my family, California burritos, and sunshine. It's cold. #CaliforniaProblems
July: SNOW, SNOW, CAMP,
POLLITO PIO.
August: Boot Camp, freak weather patterns, crafting, falling in love with Coyhaique. #happeningnow
It's been a long and adventurous four months. I will always remember walking out of Balmaceda airport into the brisk wind of Patagonia, my first Chilean barbeque, the first time I asked what is 'po' and so many more things. Can't help but get nostalgic thinking about the first pleasant whiff of pollution causing wood fire smoke, or more seriously when my host mom called me 'hijita'.
Right now, I'm feeling grateful, tried, inspired, and content. Grateful to the family around the world who support me. Tried by those little battles to force myself to do something, and conversely, being ok with doing nothing. Inspired by my students who are incredibly talented and my host mom who works hard to support her two daughters. Content with my current trajectory. This weekend, I couldn't believe it when the thought crossed my mind that I could live here indefinitely. I will miss this place.
I was talking with a friend recently about traveling, as I get ready for yet another adventure. I told him how my love for travel started at a young age. When I was a baby I walked, then ran, then naturally decided to fly (at least that's what I like to believe). He asked what countries I have been to. I've been to Australia, Uganda, New Zealand, Rwanda, and Chile. Then he asked if I knew other parts of the US to which I responded: New York, Mississippi, Tennessee, Illinois, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Nevada, Alabama, you get the point. "You are like the pati perro," he said. First, I smiled and laughed with him. Then I realized I had no idea what that meant. "Que es eso?" So he explained to me that the pati perro is a person who likes to go beyond the boundaries and see new things. I know dogs are known as being man's best friend, but this was a new comparison to me. I can't wait to see where the next four months will take me. These are the tales of the pati perro.
June
May
June
 |
| Seniors |
 |
| Happiness after receiving package from USA>Homesickness |
July
 |
Nievita!!! Que bacan! |
 |
| Click Pollito Pio above |
 |
| Mis Hermanitas Bonitas |
 |
| Hiking with new friends |
August
 |
| My favorite playground (nature) |
 |
| My Other Playground |
 |
| Warm enough to only need one jacket |
 |
| Tomas |
 |
| Mida, un perrito! |
No comments:
Post a Comment