If the rivers around me are any testament a lot can change in just a short amount of time. Since the beginning of May I have seen more seasons arguably than I've seen in my life. #SouthernCaliforniaProblem. I've seen snow, lots of rain, fog, temps drop to below 0 C, ocassional sun, and I hear it only gets crazier from here. There have been rainbows, moon bows, and flurries of snow just to mention a few.
Besides that, I'm continuously astonished by the natural beauty of Patagonia. Twinkling stars pierce the night sky like diamonds, mountains with jagged peaks soar upwards proclaiming their grandeur, and a lake of the most picturesque blue invites the weary traveler to rest awhile.
Besides that, I'm continuously astonished by the natural beauty of Patagonia. Twinkling stars pierce the night sky like diamonds, mountains with jagged peaks soar upwards proclaiming their grandeur, and a lake of the most picturesque blue invites the weary traveler to rest awhile.
![]() |
| Cerro Castillo |
If you were to ask me how I thought last weekend was going to go, I would've said it's going to be great. I would've said the plan is to go to Chile Chico, meet up with my friends and relax. Plan that's a funny thought.
Instead of giving you a play-by-play of how things turned out, we're going to skip straight to the end. When your plan involves hitchhiking you win some, you lose some. There are no rules, plans are contingent, and time irrelevant. Sam made it to Ibanez, and I did not. Same destination, same time, but different results.
Luckily, if you can call it that --not being able to get a ride and being far from any semblance of home is hardly lucky-- Pawel was also unable to get a ride this time. As the sun gradually dropped, we pushed onward to Pt. Ibanez on foot hoping for some last minute grace. As the moon rose, we started to accept the fact that we probably weren't going to make it. The ferry was set to depart at 7:00pm. As Sam texted me saying it had left, we would now have to wait until morning to get to Chile Chico.
Before we continue I have prepared for your enjoyment a few snapshots of my experience as a hitchhiker with commentary. While there could arguably be many more stages and steps, these are the ones that surfaced over and over.
Instead of giving you a play-by-play of how things turned out, we're going to skip straight to the end. When your plan involves hitchhiking you win some, you lose some. There are no rules, plans are contingent, and time irrelevant. Sam made it to Ibanez, and I did not. Same destination, same time, but different results.
Luckily, if you can call it that --not being able to get a ride and being far from any semblance of home is hardly lucky-- Pawel was also unable to get a ride this time. As the sun gradually dropped, we pushed onward to Pt. Ibanez on foot hoping for some last minute grace. As the moon rose, we started to accept the fact that we probably weren't going to make it. The ferry was set to depart at 7:00pm. As Sam texted me saying it had left, we would now have to wait until morning to get to Chile Chico.
Before we continue I have prepared for your enjoyment a few snapshots of my experience as a hitchhiker with commentary. While there could arguably be many more stages and steps, these are the ones that surfaced over and over.
Step 1: Hitchhiking- Isn't this fun?!?! I feel so adventurous.
![]() |
| I'm not desparate, but I'd love it if you'd give me a ride! |
Step 2: Sometimes hitchhiking feels like this:
![]() |
| On top of the world!!! |
Generally, you feel like this at the beginning of the day, or when you secure a ride relatively quickly. Everything's great and the world is an awesome place. People are so nice!!!
Step 3: Sometimes it feels like this:
After walking for countless miles, doubt seeps into your mind. Frustration lingers under the surface as cars tease you by slowing down and then cruising past you. You start judging fellow humans for their lack of sympathy. At this point having any ride at all is awesome and you think things like, "I totally love riding in the back of trucks, when it's 8 C. Sweet!"
Step 4: Then, sometimes it's like this: Imagine person sitting or laying on the side of the road quibbling over the fact that they might or might not get a ride. All will to do anything is gone, even thumbs up is out of the question. Fatigue makes you too tired to even care that no one stops. When you finally get a ride, the incredulous look on your face is distorted as maniacal laughter about nothing overwhelms you.
Connect the Dots
Despite the ups and downs of hitchhiking, there is something to learn from the experience. Sometimes everything goes according to the plan. Other times, it's hard to say that there was a plan. However, sometimes it takes a failed plan to produce a change in perspective.
While hitchhiking over the weekend, I had ample time to soak in the surroundings and participate in the journey. Somewhere along the way to modernization, we stopped valuing the trip as part of the experience. It's so often how fast can I get from point A to point B. Or when are we getting there? I appreciate a timely Amtrak train as much as the next person, but that's not the point. When you're hitchhiking you can't help but see what's in between. There is nothing, except what is, when you have no plan or expectations. While at first I was bummed to not get to hang out with the other volunteers, I soon realized that yet another amazing opportunity was right in front of me. I traded a road map for a handful of memories, and I can live with that.
Connect the Dots
Despite the ups and downs of hitchhiking, there is something to learn from the experience. Sometimes everything goes according to the plan. Other times, it's hard to say that there was a plan. However, sometimes it takes a failed plan to produce a change in perspective.
While hitchhiking over the weekend, I had ample time to soak in the surroundings and participate in the journey. Somewhere along the way to modernization, we stopped valuing the trip as part of the experience. It's so often how fast can I get from point A to point B. Or when are we getting there? I appreciate a timely Amtrak train as much as the next person, but that's not the point. When you're hitchhiking you can't help but see what's in between. There is nothing, except what is, when you have no plan or expectations. While at first I was bummed to not get to hang out with the other volunteers, I soon realized that yet another amazing opportunity was right in front of me. I traded a road map for a handful of memories, and I can live with that.
To Be Continued...




No comments:
Post a Comment